Featured camper blog: Memento of a regular camper



Moscow week, Cake Boss vs. Ice Cream Week, Australia Week and many more... All these camps, and especially Sugar Bay itself, are always in my heart. But it had to start somewhere...

My first camp was when I came with my school on a tour - after which I was hooked! But the real fun started with American States week, my first holiday camp. I remember arriving as shy and quiet as ever. I was taken aback by all the activity and joy around me, because up until that point I had never been to a camp worth writing about. I also loved hearing the counselors’ funky names! The activities blew my mind and I couldn’t wait to do them all. The week was filled with fun, laughter, friendships and a new family.


A year later I was back, seeing some old and new faces of both campers and counselors alike. With each week, I grew more confident and outgoing- so much so, that you would not believe the shy person I once was, thanks to the special counselors and to all the new friends I gained. I think this is because you don’t feel judged at the Bay. When you visit Sugar Bay, you are a part of a big family and you are loved and appreciated. You are able to become the real you. The person inside of you, who you believe you are, is set free.

What I am most excited about is just making a difference in children’s lives, because that’s what Sugar Bay does.

Next year I’m thinking of doing my CIT course (Counselor In Training).
Best wishes,
Jo Piagalis

Would you also like to share your story on Sugar Bay's blog? For consideration, please email tours@sugarbay.co.za with "Camper Blog" as the subject line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a seashell wind chime

5 Fun Facts about the Maze Runner

5 Camp games to play at home