Meet Lilo: 20 camps later


Laila Mackay, popularly known as Lilo, is celebrating her 20th-holiday camp at the Bay. From Jurassic World week to Japan week, Lilo has vast experience on our themed holiday camps. On her 20th visit, she explains how camp has made her bolder and much more comfortable with herself.

"Camp boosts your confidence, you're accepted for who you are. I remember during Peanuts week, I was doing sumo wrestling, and Jack (a fellow camper) tackled me so hard that I started rolling back and forth! It was the funniest thing ever and it was all caught on camera! I was comfortable with being silly and everyone around me was amazing." 


Describing herself as fun, caring and arty, Lilo explains how she would love to become a counselor at Sugar Bay. Spending most of her time at the arts and crafts section during her stay on her holiday camps, she tells us how being an Arts and Crafts PC (Pro Counselor) would be a box ticked on her life to-do list.

"I love the feeling of independence from making a piece of art all on my own, all from scratch! I would love to teach and help other campers evolve in their creativity and love for all things beautiful."

With biology being her favourite subject at school, Lilo would like to pursue a career in forensic anthropology. She expressed how Sugar Bay has inspired her to be passionate in all her interests.

"Sugar Bay is so diverse; from sports, educational activities to all the different cultures I come across, I'm constantly being immersed in something interesting."




If you could be an animal, what animal would you be?

"Sid from Ice Age, he's down to earth, caring and he gets stuff done his own way"

What's the one thing people don't know about you?

"I used to be a picky baby! From what type of milk formula I wanted to how I  would be dressed, or so my mom says."

What's your favourite part of camp?

"The counselors! Without them, camp would just be a building. It's great to see them grow, their imperfections make them perfect, each and every one of them have their own vibe."


If your teen also dreams of being a counselor one day, you should consider enrolling them for our Counselor-in-Training course. For more information on our upcoming holiday camps, view our events section on our Facebook page. To book a holiday camp, visit our website



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a seashell wind chime

5 Fun Facts about the Maze Runner

5 Camp games to play at home