Out of his League



Being our in-house emergency response CPR trainer for our camp staff and counselors, a self-defence class instructor and a superhero to our planet; we caught up with League on being a mountain guide and how the rhino is his spirit animal. 

From rock-climbing in Maine, leading a hike in Vietnam to being a mountain guide in upstate New York, League is definitely living up to his name by being in a league of his own. 

We first set our eyes on the great adventurer in 2017 when he was a C.I.T (counselor in training). This is where we watched him transform into the great counselor he is today. 

"I was extremely shy, I couldn't look people in the eye when I was speaking to them, it was really bad! Let's not even talk about public speaking!"  He exclaimed.


League runs a specialized self-defence class at the Bay where he teaches campers basic moves to protect themselves.

"I have been doing karate since I was 3 years old, I then developed my skills into self-defence as the years went by. It first started out as a hobby but knowing I could be helping a little girl protect themselves from immediate danger, that was a beautiful thing for me." 

Just when you thought he couldn't get any cooler, he recently added being a warrior for rhinos to his long list of accomplishments when he joined the anti-rhino-poaching unit; protecting rhinos from extinction, one poacher at a time.

With the rhino being his spirit animal, he explains how he relates to the majestic creature. 

"The rhino is peaceful and protective: that's exactly how I would describe myself, except that I am more family-oriented than the rhino I suppose. It just felt like a natural step in joining the unit."

What Batman is to Gotham city, that is what League is to our precious earth; a wildlife conservationist and making society a better place. 

If you also dream of being a counselor one day, you should consider enrolling for our Counselor-in-Training course. You can visit our website for more information on what it takes to be a Sugar Bay counselor. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a seashell wind chime

5 Fun Facts about the Maze Runner

5 Camp games to play at home