What inspires youngsters to work as camp counselors?

 

At Sugar Bay Resort, we're lucky enough to have an abundance of simply amazing camp counselors. A camp counselor is an assistant at a children's camp, and often a high-school or college student, who supervises a group of children. A camp counselor directs a particular activity, for example: arts & crafts, kayaking, etc. Our Sugar Bay counselors are given special “camp names” which becomes their new identity. 
 
Chaplin, Aurora, Veggie, Paris, Tape, Nikon, Bounce, Fives...

If you've been to camp before, then surely you're familiar with these counselors and their crazy camp names. 
 
The idea behind these camp names are for our staff to become the best versions of themselves while at camp. 

 
 
Here's an example:
There's a girl named Jane Doe. 
 
Jane Doe's Background:
Jane Doe grew up in an abusive neighborhood where drugs and alcohol were easily available. The only thing Jane Doe loved about home is her pet dog Max, who is now unfortunately late. Jane misses Max and is still sad about her loss. 
 
Jane Doe at Camp:
Jane Doe comes to camp during our Finding Dory week themed holiday camp. She participates in our staff training program for a week and passes her first aid and other practical and theory tests. Jane is now given a camp name and can work as a Sugar Bay counselor. Jane Doe is no longer Jane Doe, she is Swordfish. 
 
Swordfish's Background:
Swordfish is a happy, caring and friendly young girl who works at Sugar Bay as a counselor to pursue her love for children. Swordfish never lived in an abusive neighborhood. Swordfish doesn't have any reason to be sad. Swordfish isn't Jane Doe. Swordfish is a brand new person who was given the opportunity to become the best version of herself in an environment where everyone thrives to be the best version of themselves. 

 
 
Below are some reasons many youngsters gave us regarding what inspired them to become Sugar Bay counselors: 
 
I found myself in a constant battle with my mind, trying to achieve a certain happiness. A happiness that I found at Sugar Bay. It was at Sugar Bay where I met the friendly campers, life-changing counselors, the never-ending activities, the glorious sun and not forgetting all the wonderful friends I made. I won’t forget the tears of joy I shed at Sugar Bay and the sadness I felt when I left. I reached a point where every tune or song I heard that was from Sugar Bay made me smile and feel a relief. Sugar Bay is home.”

-Nuru Scholastica Kimaryo (Tikka)

Growing up, I had to face a multitude of trials, which caused me to grow inside a shell. I firmly believe that Sugar Bay is a place that would have been a safe haven for me. I began to stay away from social interactions with other children. At a later stage in my life, I was blessed with amazing friends who introduced me to fun, which ended up transforming me. Thinking back, now I realize that Sugar Bay is extremely similar to that environment, with all the loving counsellors who go out of their way to let you have the most fun possible.

-Jed Oosthuis (Hurley)

I did not have the best childhood. I was bullied and never had the best friendships. I was almost against coming to Sugar Bay camp 5 years ago as I didn’t know what to expect and if the people were going to be the same as they are back home. Little did I realize it would turn out to be the best week of my life. I have never felt so much love and belonging from so many people; both campers and counselors. I did not want to go home. Two years later, I returned to camp and had an even better experience. I made so many friends and memories that will remain with me for a lifetime. The counselors made the greatest impact on my life. They taught me so many things and were amazing role models in general. I wanted to be just like them. When I turned 17, being a CIT was the first thing I wanted to do. I wanted to be the one a camper looks up to. I love kids and making them smile, laugh and have a great time. My ultimate goal is to make children happy.”

-Kirsten Drake (Iris)

“I am certain that if I had been to a camp, such as Sugar Bay, it would have helped me so much. It would have helped me to grow, feel safe and just be myself without having to pretend I am someone I’m not. I want to help children find a place where they can feel safe, a sanctuary from any troubles they may have. And, if I could, I would help them get through it. I’d hate for children to think that they are all alone in this world. I would always help a child who is feeling lonely. It’s always good to have a place where you can feel safe, a place that can help you come out of your shell.”

-Kyle Gordon Davis (Atom)

This is just one of the many inspirational stories that some of our counselors shared with us. 
 
Being a camp counselor certainly has great benefits, the most important, being a chance to start over, and the motivation to become the best possible version of yourself that you can ever be. 
 
For more information about staff training and counselor applications, please contact Tape on (032) 485 3097 or email staff@sugarbay.co.za. Alternatively, you can read the information about these opportunities on our website at www.sugarbay.co.za .
 
 Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, be inspired by our Pinterest picture collections, Review us on our GooglePlus page, be a part of our experiences by becoming a subscriber to our YouTube Channel and keep commenting on all our blogs!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a seashell wind chime

5 Fun Facts about the Maze Runner

5 Camp games to play at home