Southdowns College loves Sugar Bay counselors


We said goodbye to our Southdowns College campers last week Friday, after an epic week in the Bay! Just before they left, we caught up with the campers and teachers, and this is what they had to say about their experience at Sugar Bay.

We asked our campers these three questions:
  1. What were your highlights of camp?
  2. What is that one thing you'll miss about camp?  
  3. Any lessons, camp taught you? 

Robyn Rhodes (11)

1. The food was really good!
2. I will miss all the counselors.
3. I learnt how to get off a current in the ocean and a lot of teamwork skills.



Sohana Pillay (12) 
 
1. It has to be the beach, crate building and the food was really nice.
2. I will miss all the counselors, but Pebbles was my favourite.
3. We were taught not to get into the pool without a lifeguard on that chair.




Steven Peddie (11)

1. I really enjoyed the king swing and sea swimming.
2. I will miss the counselors.
3. Learnt how to body board properly, which will be helpful because I will be in Durban for the holidays.

 




Michael Smyth (12)
1. My highlight is being with my friends in the cabin, the fun activities and food.
2. I will miss all the counselors.
3. I learnt how to long board.

Shaliya Ramparsad (11) 
 
1. My highlight has to be the counselors, they're really funny. The beach and all the cool activities we did.
2. I will miss the tuck shop and the counselors, they were the best part of camp.
3. What I learnt is that you should always listen for the whistle at the beach and always know where you're supposed to swim.



Lesedi, Christian, Nqobani and Nthato
1. Our highlights have to be the beach, the food, cabins, king swing and everything.
2. We'll miss our counselors and the camp vibes.
3. We learnt to communicate more and some tricks.




Tirzah Van der Merwe (12)
1. My highlights were running at the beach, swimming and I loved all the food.
2. I will miss everything about Sugar Bay.
3. Teamwork and I also learnt about animals and nature.

 
Kgantso Mobu (12)
1. The beach, the food, the counselors, cabins and everything.
2. Counselor Miranda.
3. I just want to come back here.








Britney Quickfall (12)
1. My highlight has to be the beach
2. I will miss my counselor, Puzzles.
3. I learnt a lot about working in a team, barefoot is better and that I shouldn't go to bed too late you'll be miserable in the morning.



And this is what the teachers had to say..



Ross Foley (Head of Sports-Primary)

Camp highlights? There are so many highlights, but it has to be the easy access to the beach, the beautiful weather, Pretoria is freezing and the counselors.

I love Sugar Bay because... It's peaceful, a part of Africa that no one knows about and it's tranquil.

Was it beneficial for the kids? Yes! They learnt a lot about each other, and having counselors 24/7 was really great and they are taking home great life lessons they learnt here.




Rozanne Zwarts (Afrikaans teacher)

Camp highlights? The variety of activities and the two worlds kids get to explore. The beach and land.
I love Sugar Bay because... of the beach, the sun and the counselors were a big thing for me.

Was it beneficial for the kids? In terms of leadership skills, having fun and having their own little space.










Marisa Iturralde (Maths Teacher)



Camp highlights? The facilities, cleanliness, the beauty of the place and 24/7 supervision of the children. We were certain that they were in good hands.

I love Sugar Bay because... It gives children an opportunity they wouldn't have had at school.


Was it beneficial for the kids? The children learnt to be independent and enjoyed each others company than they do in school.







Ashleigh McGhw (Intern)

Camp highlights? Being here brings back old memories, I was here as a kid and it's just the same feeling that I had, excitement.


I love Sugar Bay because... It makes one feel like a kid again and doing all the fun activities.

Was it beneficial for the kids? Definitely, you can see a lot of them were scared to try new things but once they did, they realize it is so much fun. 


We will miss our Southdowns Campers! Hope to see you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a seashell wind chime

5 Fun Facts about the Maze Runner

5 Camp games to play at home